The base is shredded carrot and lime-sesame massaged kale. Curry Spiced Cashews add protein and healthy fats (and a TON of flavor). And the peanut-chili-lime dressing takes this salad to the next level.
2 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbsp or 6 g)
2 Tbsp (18 g) dry roasted salted peanuts OR cashews (or sub 1 heaping TBSP salted peanut butter)
2 fresh or dried birds eye chilies (~1 tsp | or sub red pepper flake)
2 Tbsp (24 g) coconut sugar (or sub maple syrup)
1/4 cup (60 ml) lime juice
optional: 2 Tbsp (30 ml) pineapple juice (optional but recommended for sweetness/tang)
1 Tbsp (15 ml) tamari (or soy sauce if not gluten free)
2 cups (134 g) kale, chopped, large stems removed
2 tsp sesame or olive oil
2 tsp lime juice
4 cups (440 g) finely shredded/grated carrot (I use this mandolin with the medium blade attachment)
1/4 cup (28 g) thinly sliced red onion
1 cup (130 g) Curry Spiced Cashews (or roasted salted cashews)
optional: 1/2 cup (30 g) chopped fresh cilantro
- Add garlic, peanuts and chilies to a mortar and pestle (or just mince very finely) and crush to make a paste. Then add coconut sugar and crush once more.
- Add lime juice, pineapple juice (optional), and tamari and and stir to combine. Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more coconut sugar for sweetness, tamari for saltiness, lime juice for acidity, or crushed birds eye chili for heat. Set aside.
- To a large mixing bowl add kale and drizzle with a bit of olive or sesame oil and lime juice. Massage for 10-15 seconds to soften and remove some of the bitterness.
- Add shredded carrot, red onion, cashews and cilantro (optional). Then add dressing and toss to coat.
- Serve immediately. If storing for later, store the cashews and dressing separately to keep fresh. Salad will keep in the refrigerator up to 2 days. Dressing will keep for 5-7 days.